Friday, February 13, 2009

Bloemfontein apology

The following apology, signed by a Bloemfontein resident, appears in the "Vriend des Folks": - "I, the undersigned - -, declare herewith that I have unlawfully, unjustly, and falsely libelled Miss - -, of - - , in my letter of January 19, 1909.
I cannot say anything else of her than that she is a young lady of irreproachable good character.
I am a liar and regret and withdraw the mean and filthy language with which I have insulted her in my letter; and I, through my letter, hold myself responsible for the opening of her letters."

Eastern Province Herald - February 13, 1909

Wow, what an apology. I wonder hat the guy said to publish such a grovelling apology. The sentence which really amazes me is the one "I am a liar and regret and withdraw the mean and filthy language with which I have insulted her". Your thoughts?

No comments: