Thursday, September 4, 2008

French post at Budenib, Algeria, attacked

A great battle was fought yesterday in Algeria. Fifteen thousand tribesmen attacked the French post at Budenib at midday. Horse and foot massed on the hills, while a column attempted to surprise the French troops through the palms. The fight raged till 7 o'clock. The field and machine guns belonging to the French inflicted very heavy losses upon the assailants, who, however, still surround Budenib.
Eastern Province Herald - September 3, 1908.

The force of 15,000 tribesmen who surrounded the French post at Budenib, in Algeria, renewed the attack during the night with great fierceness.
They were, however, repulsed with heavy loss, the French infantry and artillery meeting the onslaught with a steady hail of shot and shell, against which it was impossible for the tribesmen to advance. The French loss was very slight, only five men being wounded.
Eastern Province Herald - September 4, 1908.

The details of the fighting at Debenib, the French military post in Algeria, which was attacked by Moors, show that the tribesmen displayed unexampled bravery in the night assault. Not heeding the fierce fire, they reached the French position, and attempted to storm the blockhouse, but the advance was stopped by wire entanglements.
The French used hand grenades, which were most effective at close quarters.

Eastern Province Herald - September 4, 1908.

The Imperial governments of the world were now busy devising more efficient ways of killing in order to cut down the masses opposed to their expansive programmes. Now we hear of hand grenades, for example, against tribesmen. One can almosy hear the gloating in the news reports. What do you think?

1 comment:

markyi said...

Found another report today that you might find interesting:

"A French column 5,000 strong left Budenib, Algeria, in order to attack the Moorish camp yesterday morning, and while on the march was attacked in front and on the flanks by 20,000 of the enemy, who attempted to outflank them for four hours.
"The French held off the tribesmen, their artillery effectively checking the rushes, and at length routed them and the camp was captured. The French casualties were 22 wounded, while the Moors lost heavily."

Eastern Province Herald - September 9, 1908.